Well, some work has been done on the background
I have used successive coats of darker and darker green amongst the reeds and grasses of the river bank. Towards the end I was mixing the green with a dark blue still trying to get that feeling of deep shadow amongst the reeds
I have now removed all the masking fluid, which took me a little while as there was a lot of it. Also I had to go carefully in case I tore the paper. I am happy to say that I didn’t , which was good because often when masking is left on for a while, it can prove difficult to remove.
The result is still a mess, but as I always say, finish the painting
The swans need tidying and finishing in detail. The painting is about them after all
Likewise the reeds where I have gone back to the white paper, need finishing in a light but realistic colour, raw sienna probably or a pale green
If I cannot get sufficient definition using just watercolour, then I could use some gouache or even pastel if absolutely necessary